Crochet Book Cover
A Vyv and Claire Collaboration…
Using any double knit yarn and a size 3.5 hook
- Make a magic circle
- Ch 1, 8 HDC into the circle, close with a slip st (8)
- Ch 1, 2 HDC in each stitch, close with a slip st (16)
- Ch 2, 2 DC in each stitch, close with slip st (32)
- 1 HD in next stitch, 1D 1TR 1D 1SC in next stitch, SC in next 4 stitches, 1SC 1D 1TR 1D in next stitch, 1HD, slip stitch to close and fasten off.
You can either crochet the eyes and use black buttons for the pupils or you can use googly eyes (size 18mm works the best, we are using 15mm in the kits as the supplier was out of stock)
For crochet eyes, using white DK yarn and a 3.5mm hook:
- Make a magic circle
- Ch1, 8HDC into the circle, close with a slip stitch and fasten off
MAKING UP THE OWL
- sew the buttons on to the white eye rounds however takes your fancy, we like them a little off centre to give the owl and crazed cartoony look
- sew the eyes onto the head part of the owl, near the ears.
- using yellow wool or several strands of yellow thread, create a triangle shape using the centre of the magic ring and the point where the eyes connect as your central point. Work into the hole of the magic ring and create a beak for your owl.
Crochet Heart (make 2)
For the heart on the end of the pencil, we’ve only done round 1. Rounds 2 and 3 are included in case you wish to make bigger hearts in future.
CH 4. Make all of the next stitches in the first chain.
3 TR, 3 DC, CH 1, 1 TR, CH 1, 3 DC, 3 TR, chain 2 slip stitch
CH 3, in first TR make SC and HD, in next stitch 3 HD, in next stitch 2 HD, SC in next four stitches, CH 1 DC in TR, CH 1, SC in next four stitches, 2 HD in next stitch, 3 HD in next stitch, HD and SC in next stitch, CH 3 and slip stitch in center
CH 3 , SC in top of CH 3 from previous row , SC in each stitch all the way around (until CH 3 from previous row). I chained one at the tip of the heart to get around the point easier. At beginning of CH 3 from previous row CH3 and slip stitch in center of heart. Pull the loop to the back and fasten off.
Branch, Leaves and moon
Cut the shapes out of felt.
IMPORTANT POINT: make sure you have enough space for the foldover BEFORE you start glueing or stitching…..
You can either stick or sew the pieces to the felt in whatever arrangement you like. Use the same yellow thread or wool for the feet as you used for the beak. Make a foot with three stitches attaching the owl to the branch.
For the heart on the pencil, sew the 2 hearts together, leaving a space for the pencil at the point of the heart. Apply glue to the top of the pencil and insert into opening of the heart. Leave to dry. We’ve used Jewel Glue which is available at any craft shop.
Once all the pieces are attached to the front of the felt cover (making sure you leave sufficient room for the foldover, remove the white tape on the book and stick the felt cover down.